Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 122: Sex and the City 2

“Did I just f*** up?”

Every now and then there comes a movie that truly epitomizes the “girl power” train of thought; this is such a film.  First off let me just say that I made the mistake of watching this movie with a member of the opposite sex (obviously or why else would I choose it) and upon doing so opened up Pandora’s box of feminism.  It amazes me how you can take the most calm and chill of the female gender and introduce them to a man hating film, such as Sex and the City 2, and can watch them turn into something completely different.  Immediately came the bicker battle from hell as we engaged in debates that started off as simple and playful and ended up inquiring as to why we as humans exist.  **WARNING** This movie is a fight in a disc.


The movie starts off by summing up what has happened since the first film ended and gives you a brief history of the girls’ friendship.  After this brief lead in they go right into the nagging that is otherwise known as the plotline.  Basically, the motion picture revolves around Carrie’s (Sarah Jessica Parker) fear of becoming the same old boring couple.  The two that stay in every night and eat take out while watching movies on the couch.  To be honest when I get married I hope to be so lucky to love the person enough to want to just spend the night in.  But this, alas, is not good enough for Carrie and so begins the terror.  An annoyed Carrie decides to go off to Abu Dhabi with her girls and of course this results in a memorable experience to say the least.

Among the tremendously un-relatable material brought up throughout the flick is a woman’s struggle with being a mother, the ever interesting topic of menopause, and the incredibly stimulating subject of marriage.  As much as I would love to continue bashing SATC2 as it has plagued me ever since I put it on, I have to give them credit.  Not only have the people responsible for the film created something that is guaranteed to make money, but they also actually summoned a few chuckles from me.  Among the raunchy, female empowering humor are a few gems that actually have some comedic value. 

I am not one to judge based on genre as I am admittedly a fan of all film, chick flicks included, so do not confuse my strong disliking of the movie as a sort of “Me Man” syndrome.  What it comes down to is the fact that my aggravation towards the opinions presented in this movie, far outweigh my open mindedness to movies of all kinds.  It wasn’t the type of film that I would bash outright for poor quality, but rather one that just infuriated me.  The acting was on point, or at least on point in terms of the type of movie it is, and the scenery throughout India is absolutely gorgeous. 

If there is one thing that I can take from SATC2 it’s that the Middle East isn’t all some desert hell with no end in sight.  Another way that I benefited from the movie is that I got a sort of introduction into the way all women think and when I say all, I mean all.  Even the most relaxed of girls has the nagging, always concerned, and self-conscious side of their personality they just hide it better.  From here on out I will forever question every little thing I do in regards to women, and I will always ask the question “Did I just F*** up?”

No comments:

Post a Comment